The Magic of the Reading Rainbow
OPLC’s Reading Rainbow Incentive
What is the Reading Rainbow Incentive?
Reading Rainbow is an optional reading incentive program for grades K – 2 that promotes reading a variety of books for pleasure. Students will not receive a grade for participating, and participation is not required.
How do I start?
Each grade's Reading Rainbow card is attached to this post. Each time the student reads a book in one of the categories, write the book’s title in that space. (Author names are helpful, but not required.)
- You may read the books in any order on the card and choose any titles that fit the categories.
- The books may come from any source (PLC Library, public library, classroom, home, etc.) Teachers, Reading Teachers, and Library Assistants will help students find books, if a note is sent regarding the topic.
- Four boxes may be crossed out and used as “free choice.”
- Any book read by or to the student between October 1, 2018 and May 10, 2019 may be used.
- Students are not allowed to turn in their cards until they have worked on the card for at least two weeks. When the student receives a new card, a date will be written on the upper right corner. The card will not be accepted until that date has passed. (This ensures that students are not racing through their books just to receive a prize.)
What do I do when my card is filled?
- When the entire card is filled out, a parent/guardian signs the card and the card is returned to school. The cards should be signed only when they are completely filled out. Please do not sign cards until all the spaces are completely filled in. Partially completed or unsigned cards will be returned.
- Each time the student completes a card, he/she will win a prize and advance to the next level. Completed cards will be kept in the library.
Levels & Prizes
Each level will have different book categories on the Reading Rainbow cards. There is no skipping of levels.
The levels are in Rainbow order--Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Purple. Each student who completes a card may choose a small prize.
Students who complete all six levels will be invited to the “End of the Rainbow Trip” at the end of the school year.
The program ends on May 10, 2019. No cards will be accepted after May 10.
**Spread out the reading. Try to complete one card per month!
**Cards can be turned in any time after the date written on the card. However, in
order to qualify for the end of year celebration, the following cards MUST be
turned in by these dates:
- Red--February 22
- Orange--March 8
- Yellow--March 28
- Green--April 12
- Blue--April 26
- Purple--May 10
If you have any questions, please contact me! These details and copies of the RED Level cards can be found on the school website.
OPLC Reading Specialist
firstname.lastname@example.orgClick Below for Copies of Red Level Cards