Octorara Career and Technical Education Programs (OACTEP) are rigorous Programs of Study (POS). Curriculum is aligned to CTE PA State Standards, POS Task Lists, PA Math and ELA State Standards. OACTEP curriculum incorporate Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) education. We focus on these areas together not only because the skills and knowledge in each discipline are essential for student success, but also because these fields are deeply intertwined in the real world and in how students learn most effectively. STEM is an interdisciplinary and applied approach that is coupled with hands-on, problem-based learning.
OACTEP provides training, support, and resources to identify learning goals from standards, plan lessons that connect Exemplary Practices and move students through all four levels of learning. Students are taught how to apply Higher Order Thinking independently. Teachers plan project based assignments and assessments that extend learning, include acceleration, scaffolding, and differentiation for all students.
Exemplary Practices. These goals are met through:
OACTEP follows the processes and procedures of the Octorara Area Comprehensive Plan. The Octorara Board of Directors approved the 2018-2021 Comprehensive Plan in the November 2017 after the state-mandated public review period. To review a copy of the OASD Comprehensive Plan Goals, Strategies and Action Steps, please select the link below. The OASD Comprehensive Plan is aligned to the Octorara Area School District Vision, Mission, and Shared Values and directs the work of the District as we strive to maximize opportunities for student success.Octorara Career & Technical Education Mission Statement:Octorara Area Career and Technical Education Programs (OCTEP) are committed to providing quality career and technical education opportunities for students through integrated academic and technical experiences for developing 21st century skill sets that connect life, work, and career goals necessary for graduates competing in a global economy.Octorara Area School District Vision Statement:Octorara Area School District is a community of learners which nurtures in each person the skills necessary to shape the future with respect and integrity.Octorara Area Mission Statement:The mission of the Octorara Area School District, through a partnership among school, community, and family, is to promote educational excellence in a safe, secure environment, empowering our students with the skills necessary to be successful, responsible members of society.Shared Values:We believe:
- Learning-Focused Lessons
- Higher Order Thinking: Increasing the Rigor of lessons
- Effective Assignments and Assessments for Learning
- Accelerating Learning for All Students
- Monitoring for Achievement
- Effectively Monitoring Classrooms
- Mapping the Core Standards
- Using Student Learning Maps
- Everyone is capable of learning.
- A safe, secure environment is essential to a positive school experience.
- Everyone has value, has something to contribute and should be treated respectfully.
- Every student has the right to an education, and the school district has the responsibility to provide every student with the opportunity to obtain a high-quality education.
- Individuals are responsible and accountable for their actions.
- The responsibility for learning is shared by students, home, school, and community.
- All students should be challenged to reach their full potential.
- Freedom of discussion is critical to quality education.